This is a modern, northern Italian take on an old Sicilian recipe. It is quick to make, really tasty and not too heavy on calories!
(Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter)
- 2-3 Medium Sized Aubergines
- 1-2 x Mozzarella cheeses ( You can use fresh Parmesan or Pecorino if you prefer)
- 1 x tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x Clove of Garlic
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Salt and black pepper
- First, wash the aubergines and cut off the ends.
- Then cut into 1cm wide slices, the length of the aubergine.
- Pan fry the strips in a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper until they are soft.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan.
- Chop the garlic clove and add to the oil, cook until golden brown ( add finely chopped red chilli if you like it spicy)
- Add the tomatoes to the pan.
- Simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add oregano, salt and black pepper and simmer for a further 5 minutes on medium heat.
1. Coat the bottom of an oven proof dish with a spoonful of the sauce.
2. Roughly chop the Mozzarella cheese and drain off excess milk/water.
3. Layer the dish with alternating layers of aubergine, sauce and cheese.
4. Layer until dish is full to edges and then add fresh basil leaves to top.
5. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 8-10 minutes.