Our new pots of sweets for our goodie bags have just arrived and I’m pleased to say that they come in 100% compostable packaging. One Great George Street is no stranger to sustainability – read on to discover our efforts in making the venue as green as possible.
We have held a Green Tourism Sustainable Business Award since 2010 and are one of the greenest, most sustainable venues in Westminster and London.
In the run up to the summer of 2012, we worked with the Mayor of London to make the London Media Centre housed at our venue as sustainable as possible, in line with the wider ambition for London 2012 to be the most sustainable Games ever.
We understand the importance of protecting the environment and take our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Environment Policy very seriously. We consider the following when assessing the organisation’s environmental impact:
- Electricity and gas usage
- Water consumption and use. We have an on-site water purification system which has saved annually an estimated 60,000 bottles a year
- Reduction and disposal of waste
- Increased recycling
- Food Legacy Pledge
- Sustainable Fish City Pledge
- Use of biodegradable cleaning products where possible
- Procuring goods and services from suppliers with CSR policies in place
- Source where possible all food and drink by local and sustainable means
- Regularly train and encourage staff to set an example and contribute to the environmental policies and practices throughout the business
- Excellent public transport connections
- Fair trade products in use include coffee, tea, chocolate and sugar
- Our taxi contract is with Green Tomato Cars. They are renowned for their low emission vehicles, 200% CO2 emission offset, fare sharing technology and driver dispatch software technology
- New facilities and refurbishments meet energy efficiency targets
- Delegate supplies are mostly made from recycled materials including pens, notepads, flipchart paper and coasters
- Electronic signage
- Audio visual equipment and support on-site
- Encourage the use of video conferencing to clients and team members
- Re-usable travel mugs – sold at the venue, used by staff and a discount is given to anyone using one of ours or their own for take-away beverages in lieu of our recyclable cups
- Recycled paper straws, recycled and recyclable non-plastic cups, recycled wooden takeaway cutlery and recycled napkins
Further downloadable sustainability information is available on our website.