It’s Bonfire Night on Thursday 5th November and when the fire’s stoked and the night’s sky is filled with fireworks, I love to brew some mulled wine for my friends and family. Here’s my tried and (multi) tested recipe…
Mulled Wine Recipe
Makes: 4 large glasses/1 bottle of wine
- 1 bottle red wine – preferably a spicy Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 shots of Port
- 2 shots of Brandy
- Make a Bouquet Garni – Muslin tied with string containing Cinnamon Sticks, handful of Star Anise, handful of Juniper Berries, Nutmeg
- Half a cup of Castor Sugar
Put all of these ingredients into a large pot and simmer gently for 2 hours
Half an hour before serving add:
- 4 decaffeinated fruit tea bags – cranberry or strawberry is great
- The rind and squeezed oil from an orange
- More sugar to taste
- Cup of water to taste as well if necessary
As you serve add some chopped slices of orange for garnish.
Be warned – higher alcohol content than you realise! Enjoy!